1. Information Collected About You
The information NTVB Media gathers through the Services falls into two categories: (1) iThe information NTVB Media gathers through the Services falls into two categories: (1) information users voluntarily supply when using the Services, and (2) information collected automatically through users’ use of the Services. Third-party providers and advertisers linked to or displayed on the Services may also gather information through processes that NTVB Media does not control. Such information is subject to those third parties’ privacy policies. Some of our Services also may participate in third-party advertising networks or similar services that collect information about your computer or device and your online and mobile activity to provide the interest-based advertising that you see on the Services and other third-party sites, mobile apps and marketing channels in their networks as well as first-party networks to provide interest-based advertising via the Services.
1.1 Information We Collect
We may collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or device (“Personal Information”). In particular, we have collected the following categories of Personal Information from consumers within the last 12 months: A. Identifiers, such as real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers; B. Personal information, such as name, signature, address, telephone number, credit card number, debit card number, bank account number, and other financial information; C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law, such as age and citizenship status; D. Commercial information, such as products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies; E. Internet or other similar network activity, such as browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement; F. Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information, such as recordings of customer service calls; G. Geolocation data; H. Inferences drawn from other personal information, such as a person’s preferences, characteristics, predispositions, or behavior.
1.2 Information You Provide to US
NTVB Media may collect Personal Information about you through your use of the Services, such as your name, postal address, email address, user name, password, phone number, mobile phone number, payment information, gender, birth year, age, and communications preferences, such as which newsletters, emails, text messages, or other notices you would like to receive. NTVB Media may also ask for information about your age, hobbies, interests, preferences (such as your favorite television shows or movies), which cable or satellite television provider you may subscribe to, and the like. Depending on the nature of the service, you may be free to register for the service without providing this additional information. You may provide information to NTVB Media when you:
- Make a purchase such as a subscription
- Enter registration information for one or more of the Services
- Enter a sweepstakes or contest
- Sign up to receive email and/or text message notifications
- Download a mobile application
- Download other information we provide
- Connect with the Services via a social networking site
- Post user-generated content (including comments) via the Services
NTVB Media may also collect contact information about other individuals when you use the sharing and referral tools available within some of our Services to forward content or offers to your friends and associates. NTVB Media uses this information to facilitate the communications you request. If you use any “send-to-a-friend” features of the Services, your email address may be included in the communication sent to your friend.
1.3 Information Collected Automatically When You Use the Services
As you use the Services, NTVB Media and third parties may use automatic data collection technologies to collect data about your equipment and browsing, including information about:
- Your use of the Services, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use within the Services;
- Your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking);
- Your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, which can sometimes be used to locate your general geographic area, operating system and browser type;
- Your device type, screen size, browser type, language and other settings, memory capacity, plug-ins, internet domain, TCP configuration parameters, operating system, carrier code, time zone and the names, versions and package IDs of software installed on your device;
- Your interactions with email messages from NTVB Media, such as the links you click on and whether you open or forward a message, the date and time of these interactions and the device you use to read emails;
- The sites you visited before and after you visited an NTVB Media website
- Search terms you enter using the Services or on a referral site;
- Unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers, that can identify the physical location of devices in accordance with applicable law;
- Standard server log information; and
- Information collected through embedded scripts, cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies (see additional descriptions of these terms below).
1.3.1 Tracking Technologies
When you use a mobile device to access the Services, NTVB Media may collect different tNTVB Media and our service providers or other third parties acting on our behalf or with our permission, may use embedded scripts, cookies, web beacons, device identifiers and other tracking technologies to operate, analyze and improve our Services and tailor content and advertising to user interests. Third-party companies that provide some of the tools and features accessible through our Services and advertisers and other companies involved in the delivery of advertisements you see on our Services and other websites also may use tracking technologies to collect information about your use of our Services. A “cookie” is a small text file (often containing a unique identifier) that helps us to make your use of our Services more enjoyable and meaningful to you. Cookies are accessed and recorded by the websites you visit, and by the companies that deliver the advertisements you see on our Services, so they can recognize the same browser navigating online. Cookies can also help you avoid having to log in every time you come back to use the Services. They also allow us to tailor a website, application or advertisement to better match your interests and preferences. There are a couple different types of cookies. A “session” cookie is stored only in your computer’s working memory and lasts only for your browsing session. When you close all of your browser’s windows, or when you shut down your computer, the session cookie disappears forever. A “persistent” cookie is stored on your computer’s hard drive until a specified date, which could be tomorrow, next week, or 10 years from now. Persistent cookies stay on your computer until they either, a) expire; b) are overwritten with newer cookies; or c) you manually remove them. Most browsers can be configured not to accept cookies. This may, however, prevent you from having access to some site functions or features. Your browser can also notify you when a cookie is set. (Check the “Help” menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.) Please be aware that certain browsers cannot block or delete so-called “Flash” cookies, which use a feature of the Adobe Flash video player to store information on your computer. For information about how to delete Flash cookies, please visit the Adobe website here. The Services may use spotlight ads/web beacons/GIF/pixel tags, which are site instrumentation tools that help us to determine, for instance, whether a page has been viewed or not; and if so, how many times. In general, any electronic image viewed as part of a webpage, including an ad banner, can act as a web beacon, which is a small string of code that embeds a small graphic image (usually invisible) on a web page or in an email or advertisement. When your browser downloads a web beacon, the server that sends the corresponding image to your browser can recognize and store certain types of information such as cookies previously set, the time and date that you viewed the page embedded with the beacon and a description of that page.
1.3.2 Mobile Device IDs and Location-Based Information
NTVB Media offers social network posting and sharing tools through the Services, iWhen you use a mobile device to access the Services, NTVB Media may collect different types of information about your location, including general information (e.g., IP address, zip code) and more specific information (e.g., GPS-based location information). NTVB Media may use that information to customize the Services with location-based information, advertising, and features. For example, if your IP address indicates an origin in Detroit, the Services may be customized with Detroit-specific information and advertisements. The ads in our apps may be targeted to you based on your current GPS location, or they may be targeted to you based on your zip code or device’s IP address. In order to do this, your location information may be shared with our agents, vendors or advertisers. If you access the Services through a mobile device and you do not want your device automatically to provide us with location-tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this. See your device manufacturer’s instructions for further details. We may still ask for a zip code or other location information.
1.3.3 Social Network Posting Tools and “Share” Information
1.4. Information Collected From Other Sources
NTVB Media may combine any information collected through the Services with other information that we obtain about you, your computer, and/or device from other sources, such as data suppliers and public databases. The following are examples of information we may collect from other sources:
- Name, postal address, email address and telephone number;
- Demographic data, such as age, gender, and income level;
- Interests and purchasing behavior;
- Publicly visible data, such as your posts and submissions to blogs, video-sharing services, and other interactive fora; and
- Other navigation data, such as web sites visited and advertisements viewed or clicked on.
2. How We Use the Information We Collect
NTVB Media may use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any Personal Information in the following ways:
- To present our Services and their contents to you;
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us;
- To evaluate and improve the Services, including content, layout, procedures, and navigation, and troubleshoot and perform analytics on the Services;
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it;
- To provide you with notices about your account/subscription, including expiration and renewal notices;
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection;
- To notify you about changes to ourServices;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on the Services;
- To administer sweepstakes and contests;
- To send you alerts or other communications via email and/or text message or other media;
- To contact you about our own and third-parties’ goods and services that may be of interest to you;
- To enable us to display advertisements to our advertisers’ target audiences;
- To allow us to personalize the content and advertising that you see on the Services and to understand how users interact with and use our advertisements and Services;
- To enforce the legal terms that govern your use of the Services;
- To perform analytics and research aimed at improving the accuracy, effectiveness, usability, or popularity of the Services; and
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
3. How We Share and Disclose Information
Except as otherwise expressly noted herein or within the Services, NTVB Media may share any information collected through the Services (and any other information we combine with that information) with other companies that are also owned by some or all of NTVB Media’s owners, our service providers, and with third-party organizations and marketers. Here are some of the circumstances in which NTVB Media may share information about our users:
In addition to other uses of email addresses described in this policy, NTVB Media may share users’ email addresses with service providers that send email messages and deliver targeted advertising on our behalf. These service providers may collect data about how you interact with those messages (including information about whether and when you opened a particular message or clicked on a link within a message and the device you used to do so) and analyze it in conjunction with similar information they collect when you respond to emails they send on behalf of their other clients who are not affiliated with NTVB Media. They use this email response information in combination with your email address to target and optimize the delivery of emails and email advertising they send on our behalf and for their other clients. We may also provide our service providers with lists of our user email addresses in a hashed, encrypted or anonymized form that they use to recognize our users as they navigate online or use third-party email services and enable the delivery of interest-based advertising to those users. We do not authorize our service providers to share your email address with their other clients. If you use our Services to sign up for special email offers from third-party advertisers, we will also share your email address and any other information you provided with your request with the advertisers you selected.
3.3 Service Providers
3.4 Aggregated and Anonymous Information
NTVB Media and our service providers may render information anonymous by removing any information (such as your name) that makes the information personally identifying to you. We and our service providers may combine information about you with information that we or they collect about other users of our Services and share it in a form that does not identify you personally. We may use such aggregated information or other anonymous information and disclose it to third parties for any purpose.
3.5 Publicly Posted Information
If you post any information to blogs, discussion fora, or other community or social networking services that we offer, that information can be seen, collected and used by anyone who has access to the applicable service. NTVB Media is not responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of such information.
3.6 Legal Uses
3.7 Transfers Among Businesses
We may disclose any information we collect to a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of NTVB Media’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by NTVB Media about users of our Services is among the assets transferred. We may also disclose any information we collect to other companies that are also owned by some or all of NTVB Media’s owners.
4. Your Opt-Out Choices
If you want to opt out from an NTVB Media email newsletter or commercial email list, use the unsubscribe link at the bottom of each message or send us an email at email@example.com with the email address at which you no longer wish to receive newsletters or commercial emails. If you requested third-party email through our Services and no longer wish to receive the email, simply follow the advertiser’s unsubscribe link or opt-out instructions that should be included in every commercial message you receive. If you want to disable web beacons in our email messages, turn images “off” in your email system (e.g., Outlook or Outlook Express). Check the settings or options menu in your email system for more information.
4.2 Postal Mail
To remove your name and postal address from lists that we sell or rent to third parties for their direct marketing purposes, or to opt out of receiving marketing offers for other NTVB Media magazines and products by mail send your request to us in a letter addressed to NTVB Media, Postal Opt-Out, 209 Park Drive, Troy, MI 48083. Please note you may still receive renewal notices and related offers for any magazines to which you subscribe if you opt out of postal mailings.
4.3 Interest-Based Advertising
NTVB Media follows the Digital Advertising Alliance’s (“DAA”) Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising. To opt out of our use of your website viewing data to serve interest-based advertising on third-party websites and email newsletters, visit the DAA’s Consumer Choice Page. Use the same link to opt out of the delivery of interest-based advertising on our websites from the operators of the third-party ad networks we use. You must opt out separately from each computer or device and browser that you use to access our Services. If you clear your cookies, you will need to repeat the opt-out process. Also note that the preferences you select on the DAA’s Consumer Choice Page do not apply to the collection of cross-app data from your mobile device. The DAA offers a separate choice tool for the collection of cross-app data on a mobile device as described in the Mobile App Advertising and Tracking section below.
Most of the third-party advertising and data companies we work with, including DoubleClick and Google, also subscribe to the DAA Principles and/or are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). To learn more about the information collection practices of NAI members and your related opt-out choices, please visit NAI’s website here.
You can opt out of interest-based advertising from Google or customize Google display network ads by visiting the About Google Ads page. You can permanently opt out of the DoubleClick cookie by installing the DoubleClick opt out extension. For information about Google Analytics’ information practices and opt-out choices for your web browser, click here.
Please note that even if you opt out of interest-based advertising, you may still receive advertisements. Those ads will just not be interest-based. Also, NTVB Media does not control opt-out links provided above and is not responsible for any choices you make using these opt-out links or their continued availability or effectiveness.
4.4 Mobile App Advertising and Tracking
We, our authorized service providers and/or other third parties involved in the delivery of advertising you receive through our mobile applications may collect information about your mobile device, including unique anonymous advertising identifiers and the names and IDs of apps you have installed, as well as information about how you use our mobile applications and other unaffiliated applications. This information is used in connection with interest-based advertising you receive through our Services and within third-party apps and other marketing channels. Depending on your device and operating system, you may be able to reset your mobile device’s advertising identifier to limit this data collection or prevent the collection of usage data across unaffiliated applications for interest-based advertising purposes by accessing the privacy settings on your mobile device. Each operating system, iOS for Apple devices, and Android for Android devices, provides its own instructions on how to turn off precise location sharing. Access the privacy settings for your mobile device or contact your platform operator for more information. To exercise choice over the companies participating in the DAA’s separate choice tool for the collection of cross-app data on a mobile device, download the DAA’s AppChoices app available here.
4.5 Precise Device Location Tracking
If you agreed to allow NTVB Media and/or our service providers to collect and/or share information about the precise location of your device by tracking a mobile application, you can withdraw your permission by accessing and changing your device’s location privacy settings. This will prevent further collection of your precise device location information. Each operating system, iOS for Apple devices, and Android for Android devices, provides its own instructions on how to turn off precise location sharing. Access the privacy settings for your mobile device or contact your platform operator for more information.
5. Information Security
6. Correcting or Updating Your Information
You may update or access and edit certain personally identifying information that you have provided to us through our Services. To update this information, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Links to Other Sites
NTVB Media sites and applications provide links and advertisements that link to other websites. We encourage you to review the privacy statements of all sites that you visit, including those whose links are provided, so that you can understand how those sites collect, use and share your information. NTVB Media is not responsible for the privacy statements, content or data handling practices on other websites.
9. International Data
TThe Services are hosted in the United States. United States law governs the Services, and United States data protection laws may not be as protective as those in your country. If you are outside the United States and using the Services, your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located and our databases are operated, and you consent to the use and storage of your information in the United States.
10. Children Under 13
The Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age, and NTVB Media does not knowingly collect information from children under 13. If you are under the age of 13, do not: use, or provide any information on, the Services; make any purchases through the Services; use any of the interactive or public comment features of the Services; or otherwise provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any personal information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
11. Your California Privacy Rights
11.1 Shine the Light
Under California’s “Shine the Light” law, California residents who provide personal information in obtaining products or services for personal, family or household use are entitled to request and obtain from us, once a calendar year, information about the customer information we shared, if any, with other businesses for their direct marketing uses. If applicable, this information would include the categories of customer information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared customer information for the immediately prior calendar year (e.g., requests made in 2016 will receive information regarding 2015 sharing activities). To obtain this information on behalf of NTVB Media, please send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Request for California Privacy Information” in the subject line. We will provide the requested information to you at your email address in response. Please be aware that not all information sharing is covered by the “Shine the Light” requirements and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response.
11.2 Do Not Track
11.3 Sale of Personal Information (CA and NV Residents)
If you are a California resident, you have the right to opt out of the sale of your Personal Information. If you are a Nevada resident, you have the right to opt out of the “sale” of your “covered information” as those terms are defined under Nevada law. If you are a Nevada resident and you wish to do so, please email your request to email@example.com.
11.4 Data Access and Portability
If you are a California resident, you have the right to request that we disclose certain information about our collection and use of your Personal Information during the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of Personal Information we collected about you;
- The specific items of Personal Information we collected about you;
- The categories of sources of Personal Information we collected about you;
- Our business purpose for collecting or selling that Personal Information;
- The categories of third parties with which we share Personal Information; and
- If we sold or disclosed your Personal Information for a business purpose, we will provide a list of the sales with the categories of Personal Information that the recipients purchased and, for disclosures, we will provide a list of the sales with the categories of Personal Information that the recipients received.
11.5 Deletion Request Rights
If you are a California resident, you have the right to request that we delete any of your Personal Information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your Personal Information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the Personal Information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you;
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law;
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent;
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities;
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.);
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us;
- Comply with a legal obligation; or
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
11.6 Exercising Opt Out, Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
If you are a California resident and you wish to exercise the opt out, access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by visiting ntvbmedia.com. Only you, or a person registered with the California Secretary of State whom you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your Personal Information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You may make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability only twice within a 12-month period. A verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected Personal Information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with Personal Information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the Personal Information relates to you. We will use Personal Information provided in a verifiable consumer request only to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
11.7 Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. We will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. Any disclosures we provide will cover only the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your Personal Information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance, specifically by electronic mail communication.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services;
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services;
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties; or
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.